Subject: Regarding the recent article about your town in the New York Times
According to your city's website your slogan is "Small Town- Big Heart - New Image - New Direction". So please take a new direction and show some heart and the let the Fugees play soccer in your city's park.
I suspect my words will not move you since I am not one of your constituents so I am going to try to persuade you with a poem called “The New Colossus” by Emma Lazarus.
- Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
- With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
- Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
- A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
- Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
- Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
- Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
- The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
- "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
- With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
- Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
- The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
- Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
- I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
This poem is otherwise known as the "Statue of Liberty Poem".
Please let her light shine.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada